Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Nikki Giovanni

This sister touched my spirit years ago with her poem " My House". She said something like "If I wanna cook yams and call em sweet potatoes then I can , because it is my house and my kitchen."It seems that she was free to be and express herself without intent to offend , but if an offence did occur, she would not discontinue her delivery of the message. I admired that. I wondered if this was just her written material and not her actual character. I had the honor of meeting her on a couple of occasions. I was not disappointed with her presence. Ms. Giovanni was consistent with her written word. This in my opinion, was functioning above and beyond, because so many people live inconsistent and double lives. I thought I would share one of her poems with you. Maybe if you like, you can share one of your favorite poetic selections. Until then enjoy.

CHOICES
if i can't do
what i want to do
then my job is to not
do what i don't want
to do
it's not the same thing
but it is the best i can
do
if i can't have
what i want then
my job is to want
what i've got
and be satisfied
that at least there
is something more to want
since i can't go
where i need
to go then i must go
where the signs point
though always understanding
parallel movement
isn't lateral
when i can't express
what i really feel i pratice feeling
what i can express
and none of it is equal
i know
but that's why mankind
alone among the mammals
learns to cry
Respect

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm researching for security training and this on this post is useful so thanks Dr. Respect. Anny

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great comments and insights..By the way, are you looking for more information on fine diamond jewelry ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to fine diamond jewelry with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...http://www.aphroditesaccessories.com

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>