Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Moments to remember

I had the honor to share a Gymnasium stage in Medgar Evers school of Chicago, Illinois today with some FANTASTIC personalities which included many of the recent graduates of the Men and Women of RESPECT Training. There were so many moments to remember that were truly breathtaking. Let me share them with you.

We began by welcoming the students and teachers to this event. One brother, joined by a very strong young sister, opened the session with the RESPECT affirmation. This was followed by approximately one hundred and fifty students going into complete Q.T. (Quiet Time). That is complete silence with their eyes closed...until we brought them out. OUTSTANDING!!! Lamont Brown and I then began recapping the messages of this school year. Where could we possibly go from here? Well, the tap performance group: MADD RHYTHMS entered the stage six or seven strong. They created such an electrifying performance that even the Global Director of Training, Lamont Brown, and I had difficulty not attempting to dance along with the dancers...Of course we would have had somewhat of a different timing.

Following the performance by MADD RHYTHMS, L. Brown and I delivered messages of empowerment to the real stars of the day. By the way, the real stars of the day were the sixth, seventh and eighth grade male and female students. They were VERY respectful , disciplined and attentive for the 1 & 1/2 hour of this RESPECT culminating experience.

At this point Sister Lisa Muhammad and Brother Edward, Drill Team masters, came forward with their male and female team members and took discipline and respect Above and Beyond average. They engaged the audience and kept young and old on the edge of their seats. With their look, synchronized movements, military postures and salutes ou wee!!! TRUE moments to remember. Once again, the Global Director of Training Lamont Brown and I had to restrain ourselves from joining in with a little fancy footwork of our own...OH, we could have done it if we wanted to.

It was the goal of the Men and Women of RESPECT to create memories that would last. We did not want to just give a traditional certificate or pin that may end up on the floor, drawer or possibly in a frame. We wanted something that would touch their hearts. Isn't that what life is all about? Creating memories that can last a lifetime.

We ended with the message of "STAY STRONG and STAY READY" and what it takes to do that. Mr. Brown always delivers the final word of "The more you know. The more you owe."

Much respect to MADD RHYTHMS www.maddrhythms.com, Brother Edward and Sister Lisa of "The Nation of Islam" and their disciplined drill team, the MEN and Women of RESPECT, the teachers and students that we have had the pleasure of working with for the 2004- 2005 school year, the Principal Ms. Singleton and my Global Director of Training: L. Brown whom I could not have done this without, and you readers for allowing me to share these moments to remember.

Respect

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myself..... Brother Marcus, you are truly a blessing in the lives of others. Your spirit and passion is very evident in ALL that you do!
"Keep Your Head To The Sky"

Your brother in so many ways(ha ha)
Eric (Easy E)

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those of us who could not attend in person have now been able to through your vibrant picture words.
I am glad I could attend with my "mind's eye" and laugh out loud as I enjoy the visions.

I am truly in awe of what happens when you LOVE your work and your work is your play. It is always in your eyes. Respect to you and Lamont for what you do for our children every day. Keep On...

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Brother, my Brother. I have had the honor of working with you and I must say that you are one of the most genuine and powerful presenters I know. I am sure that the experience the young men and women went through will not be forgotten and neither will you and Lamont.
Stay Strong and Stay Ready....RESPECT!
Syl (The Prophet)

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am at a loss for words... I salute you my friend, DR RESPECT.. this forum is such a blessing to so many of us... I'd like to spread the word a little broader... got some ideas (hummmmmmm)...
Love, and RESPECT
Ms PJ

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so honored to be a Woman of RESPECT and to have participated in this day. It was truly everything you say and more. This was a day the kids got to see some very positive role models who look like them and were able to believe that maybe they really CAN make a difference. You and Lamont are an inspiration to us all. Thank you.
Respect,
Kim

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

>